Hello everybody! how are you doing? I hope safe and sound.
Yesterday, The boyfriend and I travelled to The Hague to spend a few days on the coast. This is allowed in the NL as the restrictions are getting more relaxed. We came with our masks and are working from an Airbnb with a beautiful view to the beach (you can see them in my instastories).
It is weird and great at the same time, as there is almost nobody which is nice but it felt weird leaving our home, but I guess it will take time to get used to our new “normal”.
Todaý I’m sharing with you a dessert that The boyfriend loves and it is one of my favorite dessert from my country. It is called Quesillo and it is the venezuelan version of the famous Spanish flan. It is delicious, affordable. as the ingredients are easy to find and cheap and did I say it is delicious? 🙂
- 6 large eggs
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- A pinch of salt
- Optional: a splash of rum (if venezuelan, better).
- In a heavy skillet or saucepan, melt the sugar with a couple of tablespoons of water over medium heat, occasionally stirring, until sugar has melted completely and starts to turn golden brown.
- Carefully pour hot caramel into the mold, swirling it around to coat the bottom and sides of the mold. Set mold aside.
- Preheat oven to 170 C (325 F).
- Set some water to boil, around 1 liter.
- Whisk together the eggs, condensed milk, milk, vanilla, and salt until well mixed, or blend them in the blender.
- Pour mixture into the mold. Place the mold inside of a pan with tall sides and carefully fill pan around mold with boiling water to make a bain marie*, also know as water bath or as we say in spanish “bano de maria”
- Bake for 1 hour or until flan no longer jiggles a lot in the center, or just until a knife inserted into the flan comes out clean.
- Take it the flat our of the oven and let it cool for about 20 minutes
- Put it in the fridge during the night
- The next morning take it our of the pan and enjoy!
(*) Bain marie = a pan of hot water in which a cooking container is placed for slow cooking.
Do you have any favorite dessert from your country that you love making?